Table of Contents
- 1 What is NIGINTERN Program?
- 2 Details of NIG Summer Internship in Japan in a Glance:
- 3 Eligibility Criteria:
- 4 Financial Support:
- 5 Internship Period:
- 6 Required Documents:
- 7 Procedure to Apply:
- 8 Deadline:
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 10 Let’s have a look at video about NIG Summer Internship in Japan 2019:
Here is another opportunity after Japan Summer Internship. If you have applied for the previous one so now you will have idea to apply for the internship.
So, let’s have a look at details that what is NIG Summer Internship in Japan 2019, eligibility criteria and internship period etc.
What is NIGINTERN Program?
National Institute of Genetics (NIG)/ Department of Genetics, SOKENDAI offers a research internship program for undergraduate and postgraduate students who wish to gain research experience in genetics and related fields in life sciences. Intern students will conduct independent research under the mentorship of a host investigator at NIG.
Program includes training on scientific research, scientific communication, and lab visits to discuss with individual principal investigators. At the end of the program, participants will give a presentation on their experience as the “NIGINTERN Reports Symposium”.
NIG will issue a certificate to those who have successfully completed the program. Interns can also participate in various activities such as graduate program lectures, journal clubs, and seminars by outstanding researchers from inside and outside of NIG. Japanese language classes are also available.
Details of NIG Summer Internship in Japan in a Glance:
- Undergraduates & Master Students
- June 20 – July 31, 2019
- Fully Funded
- ETH Zurich Summer Internship | Fully Funded, Switzerland
- 7th Asia Europe Foundation Student Conference Romania
- Holland scholarship 2019 by Dutch Ministry of Education
- US Summer Sisters Exchange Program 2019 | Pakistani Students
- Chinese Government Scholarship for Pakistani Students 2018-2019
Applicants must be interested in life sciences and be in the prefinal-year at the time of application, i.e. in the 3rd year of a 4-year bachelor program, in the 2nd year of a 3-year bachelor program, in the 4th year of a 5-year program, in the 1st year of a 2-year master program, or in the 5th year of a 6-year program. Students who are interested in enrolling in our PhD program at NIG are encouraged to apply.
* Because of a highly competitive selection process, applications from non-prefinal students are not considered.
NIG will cover costs of airfare, local transportation fares between airport in Japan and NIG, lodging in the institute’s guesthouse, and travel insurance during the program. Allowance for meals (ca. 1,500JPY/day, subject to change) will also be provided.
- Work on the days and times agreed with the supervisor.
- Conform to the regulations of NIG.
- Maintain confidentiality of unpublished information at NIG.
- Complete assignments, tasks, and project associated with the internship experience.
In case of non-respect to the conditions, NIG will take appropriate actions such as reduction of the financial support and/or termination of the internship.
To receive financial support, interns must agree to fulfill the following requirements:
- To dedicate their full efforts to the NIGINTERN program
- To participate in the project for the full intern term (on a full-time basis, five days a week until the end of designated term)
- To give an oral presentation on the scheduled day
- To submit an essay and questionnaire at the end of the internship term
Students are responsible for other living expenses such as local transportation, private trips, and entertainment in the weekends.
NIG will arrange flights for the accepted intern students. Upon arrival at NIG, interns must submit the stub of the boarding pass of their outward flight to Japan. Also, the stub of the boarding pass of their return flight or its (scanned or photo) copy must be sent to NIG within one week after the internship.
June 20 – July 31, 2019
* NIG covers expenses for the designated period only. Requests for shorter or longer periods will not be considered.
* For any internship opportunity other than this program, please contact your potential host PI(s). In such cases, costs and arrangements for travel, visas, accommodation and living expenses are the responsibility of the interns or their sponsoring institutions.
After the registration, you will receive an e-mail with your password. Use this password and log into our online application page. Applicants are requested to enter “Letter of Motivation/ Self-advertisement” and upload the following materials through the online application form.
- Letter of Motivation/Self Advertisement: 500 words in English
- CV: Must include all record including current academic year.
- Scanned Academic Transcript: Scan and upload latest undergraduate or postgraduate transcript. If multiple transcripts so combine them in a single file
- Recommendation letters by Professors: Enter your recommends through the online recommender page.
Procedure to Apply:
We accept applications only through the online application system. Please read “Application guideline” below carefully and follow the instructions.
* The online application system opens on November 26 and closes at noon on January 7, 2019 (Japan standard time, JST)
* Students interested in applying for this program must read, understand and agree to the conditions and requirements of the program.
* Due to the overwhelming number of applications, we do not reply to individual queries regarding this website, the selection status, and the results.
- January 7, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: I’m currently in the 3rd year of 5 year-dual degree program. Am I eligible?
Ans: No, we accept applications only from students in their prefinal year at the time of application.
Q: I’ll be a prefinal-year student during the intern period but am currently in the 2nd year of 4-year Bachelor program. Am I eligible?
Ans: No, at the time of application you must be a prefinal-year student.
Q: Which countries / nationalities are eligible?
Ans: We welcome applications from any country / nationality.
Q: Am I eligible to apply even if my university is not in the country of my citizenship?
Ans: Yes, the only condition is that applicants must live outside Japan at the time of application.
Let’s have a look at video about NIG Summer Internship in Japan 2019: