One of the best thing which i came across on internet today was this Free Online Course on English for Academic Study “English for Academic Study”, developed by Coventry University. The aim of the course is to help you out and understand what is expected.
In this course, you will learn key vocabulary. You will be given an opportunity to analysis the key vocabulary and conceptualization used in a university setting. This course is in progress.
- 2 weeks
- 3 hours
- Languages & Cultures
- Coventry University
- Available now
Who Developed the Course:
The Coventry University secured a gold rating in the UK government’s 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) and is the country’s top modern university in the Guardian University Guide 2018.
No specific educational or any other knowledge require as a background for the free online course. Anyone can apply in this free online course.
Where Could This Lead You
After completing and learn enough the course, the field you can apply is
Get Extra Benefits:
Get a verified certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you acquire ($74)
• Official and approved-you will have a certificate with the logo of the institution and the signature of a professor to show your acquisition and increase your professional prospects
• Easy to share-Add the certificate to your résumé or resume, or publish it directly on LinkedIn
• Proven motivational measure-Give yourself an additional encouragement to complete the course
How to Join This Course:
• You can register yourself here.
• You can use the hashtag #FLpse to motivate your fellows about this course on social media.
In this course, you will achieve the following topics:
• Key vocabulary and concepts for the UK university context
• Exploring the approach to teaching and learning in UK universities
• Developing dictionary skills
• Analysing word forms and word families
• Accessing and writing definitions
• Introduction to the phonemic chart and how to use it to support learning and pronunciation skills
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
Decode key academic terminologies and explore the importance to successful UK university study.
• Identify key features and conventions of academic culture in the UK, both online and on campus.
• Apply the use of a dictionary to help you extend your academic vocabulary range.
• Record new words effectively
• Identify the form of definitions and produce your own.
• Produce the phonemic chart to help you pronounce new words.
Who Will You Learn With?
• Gareth Jones: English teacher
• Mary Forbes: English teacher
• Importance of Course: At the end of the course, you will be able to expand your vocabulary for an academic setting, include tools to help your pronunciations of new words.
• Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.