A recommendation letter also known as a reference letter is a document in which you write the qualities, achievements, skills, and personality traits of the person being recommended for the specific institute or employment of job.
Reference is the essential component for almost all types of admission and employment.
A letter of recommendation is an online form in which a writer demonstrate the skills and achievements of an individual who is going to apply for a job or admission.
You should follow a standard procedure for writing a letter of recommendation.
This letter is extremely important in decision making by hires or in admission in any institute.
Basic forms of references
1. Oral reference:
Those references that are conducted on the telephone are oral references.
2. Written letters of recommendation:
It is the more formal way than the oral references.
They are written for the specific purpose of the particular individual.
HOW TO WRITE A COMPELLING RECOMMENDATION LETTER
1. A polite and personable salutation
The way you meet a person for the very first time makes your first impression on that person, so it’s very important to use a polite tone and personable salutation to start your letter.
A proper salutation should be structured as:
Dear + Title + Name of Recipient
2. The first line of your introduction
The first sentence of your recommendation letter must be attractive because it can sketch out your personality.
It also makes the reader imagine your tone in which you are writing the letter; you have to make your letter impressive from the very beginning so that the reader may not get bored by reading it.
For example, you start like:
• It’s my pleasure to recommend…
• It’s my pleasure and honor to recommend…
3. Your relationship with the applicant
In an introductory paragraph where you have to describe who you are and what is your relationship with the applicant.
This is important for the applicant because it may help the applicant greatly in seeking admission in an institute or the job.
You have to include the following points:
• Your position in that company or school.
• How do you know the applicant.
• From when you known the applicant.
4. Express warm approval
Finish the introduction with one sentence or two highlighting the most powerful skills of the applicant and their personal qualities.
The purpose of these sentences is to wind up the first paragraph
The following example will give you an idea:
Hina is the outstanding student of mine; she always keeps me impressed with her intelligence and awesome personality.
5. Display the Applicant’s Professional/Academic Strengths
2-3 of the applicant’s specific skills, work experiences and achievements should be mentioned at the start of the body paragraphs of the recommendation letter.
Include the activities of the applicants which evaluates his qualities and skills. This will help the reader to distinguish you from the others and shows that why you are perfect for that job.
6. Highlight the Applicant’s Best Personal Qualities
The next body paragraph should include the 2-3 of the applicant’s positive personality traits and characteristics, particularly those that would be important or desired by the Targeted Company or school.
7. Why the Reader should Accept the Applicant
Begin the concluding paragraph by repeating your complete, proper and inspiring recommendation of the applicant.
The language you are using in the letter should be inspiring, strong and confident.
Your letter closing should be formal.
Sincerely, Regards and Respectively are all great to use.
If the closing is more than one word, only capitalize the first letter of the first word.
GENERAL GUIDANCE FOR REQUESTING FOR RECOMMENDATION LETTER:
• If possible always ask more then one person that you need their reference.
• List the description of the position you are applying for.
• If the commendatory is away just ask them by phone.
Provide each recommendor with
• All required recommendation forms.
• A sheet stated to whom and where the recommendation will be sent.
• All information provided should be up to date.
• If the letter needs to be mailed then, provide stamped and addressed envelopes
• Be very clear about what the letter is for and who they should address it to etc.
GUIDELINES FOR WRITING A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
• Agree only to write a recommendation letter if you know the applicant very well.
• Ask for all the information about the applicant should be up to date.
• Present the applicant positively and sincerely.
• The unrealistic image of the person is countless.
• The recommendation that points out the negative points of the person has a bad impression on the reader.
• Assemble and review all the information in the recommendation about the person.