Table of Contents
Applications are now open to apply for the Mandela Rhodes Scholarship for African students 2021.This is a fully-funded scholarship. The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship covers tuition for a one-year Honors degree or a two-year Master’s degree in any field at a recognized South African institution of higher education.
The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship for African Students 2021 combines financial support with a leadership program that will challenge you, grow you, and connect you to young African change makers The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship is a life-changing leadership journey and providing Full funding is for Honors’ (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years).
The aim is to keep Nelson Mandela’s legacy alive by equipping young African leaders with the competence and courage to transform the continent into a place where everyone has an equal opportunity to thrive. Our program is delivered primarily through a series of week-long residential workshops which you will attend during your time in residence.
Mandela Rhodes Scholarship 2021
- South Africa
- South African Institutions
The fully-funded Scholarship for Africans covers the expenses of a Scholar as follows:
- Tuition and registration fees as set by your university or institution
- A study materials allowance as set by the MRF
- Accommodation and meal allowances as set by the MRF
- A medical aid allowance as set by the MRF
- A personal allowance as set by the MRF
- Research and conferencing grants can be made available on request
- Economy-class flights for international scholars from their home countries to their institutions at the start and end of their studies
The eligibility criteria are as under:
- The Scholarship is open to citizens of all African countries
- The Scholarship is for postgraduate study at South African universities or tertiary institutions
- Full funding is for Honors’ (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years) or their equivalents (MBA’s excluded)
- Any individual who will be between the ages of 19 and 30 years at the time of taking up the Scholarship may apply
- Applicants must possess a first degree or its equivalent or must be in the process of completing one by 31 January 2020
- Applicants should have a history of well above average academic results
- Individuals that reflect in their character a commitment to the four principles of Education, Reconciliation, Leadership, and Entrepreneurship
- Applicants must be able to attend all compulsory elements of our Leadership Development Program. These activities can occur during the week or on weekends.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred once awarded. It must be taken up in the year which was applied for.
How to Apply
- You must apply online.
- You can log onto our applications platform to access your application and upload your documents and essays.
- The three people who write your recommendation letter must also log onto the platform to upload their letters directly.
- You must give them plenty of time to write their letters, sign onto the platform, and upload them.
- Your application cannot be submitted without the letters and will not be considered.
- Recommenders: We require three letters of recommendation as part of your application. Your recommenders must submit their letters through our application platform.
Note: Without these letters, you cannot submit your application.
Get in touch with three people who have relevant experience of you an insight into your character as soon as possible – even before applications open – to ask them permission and give them time to write their letters. Once you register a recommender on the platform, they will receive an email asking them to log on and upload their letter.
- Documentation: You will be required to upload certificates of completion for your degrees, transcripts of your academic results, and scans of your ID and passport documents.
- Essays: You will be asked to write two short essays, one on your personal journey, and one on a specific question relating to our principles.
- Application for university*: You will be asked to fill in your proposed course of study on your application. We do not require proof that you have applied, but we recommend that you apply as soon as possible, and to more than one university.
Last Date to Apply
The last date to apply for the African scholarship is 16th April 2020.
You can apply by clicking the button below: