Applications are invited by the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq) in Brasilia, Brazil, and TWAS, for TWAS-CNPq Postgraduate Fellowship Programme. This fellowship is announced for scientists from developing countries except Brazil.
The World Academy of Sciences for the advancement of science in developing countries –is a global science technology, works to support sustainable prosperity through research, education, policy and diplomacy. TWAS was founded under the leadership of Abdus Salam, the Pakistani physicist and Nobel laureate.
Brazil’s academic year usually begins on 1st March and the second semester in early August of each year. The applicants must observe the academic calendar of host institution, who will enroll for their PhD there, i.e. they must be ready to start their Fellowship on the first day of classes (In Portuguese usually).
- To study Postgraduate programme.
- To study full time and sandwich postgraduate fellowships to young scientists.
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences including Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
A standard monthly allowance which will cover living costs, such as:
- Health insurance.
Note: The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- This Postgraduate Fellowship is available for scientists from developing countries except Brazil. The developing countries may include:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic Chad, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea, Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, India, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe
Applicants must meet the criteria given below for this fellowship:
- No age limit for this programme.
- Have a university degree in the Natural Sciences (minimum: Master’s degree).
- Have good command on Portuguese, Spanish or English.
- Don’t have visa for permanent or temporary residency in Brazil or in a developed country.
- Have to give evidence that s/he will return to their home country after completion of fellowship.
- Can’t take up other assignments during the fellowship period.
- Provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (please refer to the sample that can be downloaded below or is available and be willing to carry out part of their PhD research (Sandwich option) or register for a full PhD degree (Full time option) in the natural sciences at a participating CAPES-listed Brazilian institution.
- Provide a certificate of proficiency in Portuguese, Spanish or English (if these are not the applicant’s mother language).
- Have updated Curriculum Vitae on CNPq’s Lattes Platform (see online applications note below).
- Show a detailed research plan, agreed by her/his host supervisor.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
For SANDWICH applicants only:
- Provide declaration from the home institution, states that the candidate has been officially enrolled as a PhD Student in home country for 1 year at least, by the date of application.
English Language Requirements:
- Most of the institutions prefer Portuguese as a language of instruction, but few institutions prefer English language.
- Applications to this Fellowship must be submitted online (only).
- Information on the call for applications, where you will find the Postgraduate Fellowship programme details, eligibility criteria, required documents and certificates and online application.
- Firstly, the candidate must create a CV Lattes through the link.
Secondly, the candidate must submit the application via the Carlos Chagas Platform, available at: Proposals and Requests /Novos/ International Cooperation/ Twas.
- Applications will not be accepted if submitted by any other means except via online application form.
- No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, kindly submit your electronic application as early as possible.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from a CAPES-listed institution to CNPq when applying. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Queries related to the submission of applications via the online portal.
- Applicants can apply for only one Postgraduate Fellowship per year. With the exception of the Visiting Scientists programme, all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS and OWSD, are mutually exclusive.
- September 14, 2018