Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program was launched by the Canadian Government in 2008. The purpose of the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is to strengthen Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher learning.
Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
Field of study:
- Any one of the courses offered by the Canadian universities.
- 166 scholarships are awarded annually.
Benefits of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Each Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is valued at $50,000 per year.
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply to be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
1. be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
2. be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as MD/ Ph.D., DVM/ Ph.D., JD/ Ph.D. – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
3. intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as MD/ Ph.D., DVM/ Ph.D., JD/ Ph.D.) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
4. not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2019 (see calculating months of doctoral studies below);
5. have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
6. must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Eligibility of Degree Programs:
- Doctoral awards are tenable only in degree programs that have a significant research component.
- The research component must be a requirement for completion of the program and is considered to be significant original, autonomous research that leads to the completion of a dissertation, major scholarly publication, performance, recital and/or exhibit that is merit-reviewed at the institutional level.
- Clinically-oriented programs of study, including clinical psychology, are also eligible programs if they have a significant research component, as described above.
NB: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements to be able to study there
Deadline of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships:
- October 31, 2018
- You Must apply online